PDA

View Full Version : How to make Methanol

Cody Marsden
May 7th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I need a way to make methanol out of wood chips, or wood shaving or any other form of wood actually, there was a topic on this on the old forum but its all gone now i went back to try to find it, so ya any help??

DarkBlue40
May 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I have some really old textbook that tells you how to make it, all you really have to do is heat the would chips without it catching on fire and have the vapours condence into another container, however, only a part of it is methanol, the rest is wood tar and other substances mixed in with the methanol. best if you have some chemistry tools

firetime27
May 7th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Go to the hardware store and buy windshield washer fluid.

Cody Marsden
May 7th, 2007, 09:06 PM
i need pure methanol for bio diesel, i can do the wood chips thing, and if u could explain the tools needed i could probably figure something out or steal them from my school, so how u been firetime? its been a while

N2O
May 7th, 2007, 10:00 PM
You just strongly head the wood in the ABSENCE of oxygen.
You will need an air lock kind of mechanism.

Your best bet would be a steel can in a fire.
On the steel can you would have a nipple, where a piece of copper pipe can clamp on, run the copper pipe away from the hot can, and eventually convert it to a rubber pipe and run it into some water where i can be cooled.

You won't get anywhere near pure from this method, but with some basic filtration and chemical treatment you will get pretty pure.

Cody Marsden
May 7th, 2007, 10:03 PM
thx much, so i have to run it through the water and then what? do i run it through another pipe to colect the methanol in another container?

N2O
May 8th, 2007, 02:07 AM
the methanol will dissolve in the water, along with a variety of other compounds.
You will then have to distill the methanol solution to get pure(ish) methanol.

[ g h o s t ]
May 8th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Who needs an air lock? Just do it in an inert atmosphere and a sealed container.

Cody Marsden
May 9th, 2007, 10:25 PM
he never said an air lock he just said it needs to be void of any O2, and how would i distill it??

N2O
May 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Heat it up to metOH's boiling point...?

N2O
May 9th, 2007, 11:08 PM
NEVER post anything from rotteneggs here.
delete that now.

They are the biggest retarded cunts ever.

subconcious
May 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM
sorry, it was basically the same thing you guys were talking about tho

[ g h o s t ]
May 10th, 2007, 03:13 AM
he never said an air lock he just said it needs to be void of any O2, and how would i distill it??

You just strongly head the wood in the ABSENCE of oxygen.
You will need an air lock kind of mechanism.

Your best bet would be a steel can in a fire.
On the steel can you would have a nipple, where a piece of copper pipe can clamp on, run the copper pipe away from the hot can, and eventually convert it to a rubber pipe and run it into some water where i can be cooled.

You won't get anywhere near pure from this method, but with some basic filtration and chemical treatment you will get pretty pure.

Epic fail.

coolboarder58
May 10th, 2007, 05:24 PM
methanol is around 50 cents a gallon here... i think it would be easier to buy.

Cody Marsden
May 11th, 2007, 10:15 PM
ya well its harder to buy it around here for making bio diesel, but otherwise i would just buy it

marcraft
May 20th, 2007, 10:03 PM
NEVER post anything from rotteneggs here.
delete that now.

They are the biggest retarded cunts ever.

FUCK YEAH , i fucking hate the self righteous pricks who do that

Burning_Pyro
May 27th, 2007, 01:22 AM
acctually, just go to your local race track, Should be pretty plentiful

Armyman5620
May 27th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Yea, i work the local race track almost every weekend, dude just buy it.

Armyman5620
May 27th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Yea, i work the local race track almost every weekend, dude just buy it.

Sorry dude, forgot to say that if you live in the U.S. you can only buy methanal from a restricted dealer, if you posses a license.

N2O
May 28th, 2007, 06:56 AM
wow ghost you sure showed what a dumbass you are how would you have a heat exchange in a totally sealed vacum? can we say DEETAAADEE
and im stoned tu fuck..

Heat is radiation.
It doesn't need a medium to travel through.

[ g h o s t ]
May 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM
wow ghost you sure showed what a dumbass you are how would you have a heat exchange in a totally sealed vacum? can we say DEETAAADEE
and im stoned tu fuck..

Self pwnt.