View Full Version : History paper

November 8th, 2009, 07:22 PM
The book “A Narrative Of A Revolutionary Soldier: some of the adventures, dangers, and sufferings of Joseph Plumb Martin” tells a daring tale of Joseph Plumb Martin and his life in the military. Martin was born in Becket, Massachusetts in 1760 to the Reverend Ebenezer Martin and Susannah Plumb. At the age of seven, he was sent to live with his grandparents in Milford, Connecticut. Because his family was well-to-do (His father studied at Yale), Martin was able to receive a well rounded education, including reading and writing.
This story starts out telling about Joseph’s childhood. He grew up on his Grandparents’ farm tilling the fields and tending to the live stock and making life as livable as possible for people in those days. At a young age he did not really care much about the war and all of its talk. As he grew, so did his interest in the war grew with him making him was eager to join the war and soon he would come to join the Connecticut State Troops.
Back in those days politeness was key and so he had to have his grandparents consent before joining the army or else be shunned from his family. The time came where recruitment found his home town and his chance to become a soldier was near. When he was fifteen, in 1775, He had conversations with his grandparents about the matter, but they would not give him consent to join unless his parents gave him consent as well. his parents were too far away and when he would eventually get his answer his opportunity would have been long gone, so he made the decision to go and join without consent or approval following the Battles of Lexington and Concord. . His grandparents found out what he did and they did not like it, but they respected it and allowed him to stay.
His first tour of duty led him to New York and he joined up with the rest of his regiment. He woke every morning at day-break to the sound of revelle on drums to go on regimental parade through the streets of broad-street. He then practiced the manual exercises and training exercises.
After his first tour of duty ended, he joined the Continental Army in 1776; he served with the 8th Connecticut Regiment under the command of General James Varnum. Signing on for the duration of the American Revolutionary War, and allowing him time to go back home for a small amount of time. In that the British army landed and marched to the town of Danbury and burned the whole town to its foundation. His regiment headed out to settle the affair and destroy the British outpost that was causing havoc. They killed, injured, and captured most but the rest fled and sailed out for New York, and so he and his regiment returned home to Newtown as well. There they received arms and equipment and then headed of back to Danbury. Upon arrival, they saw the town was in complete ruins; houses burnt down, people murdered and cast into the oblivious pits of burning wreckage that once used to be their homes. Those that were not killed were mourning the loss of their loved ones and their lives that, at one point, were vibrant and joyful, were now a rotting cadaver of sorrow.
He soon came down with an infection of small pox after receiving an order to clear out barracks in the highlands and was transferred to the hospital quarters that was a farmers’ barn near the barracks. One afternoon the farmers’ house caught fire, luckily the fire did not spread to the barn; for if the barn caught fire, Joseph would have died thus concluding this narrative. Soon after that day Joseph and another went to the stream to catch “suckers” (leaches) to put on themselves to cure them of the small pox plague, their attempts succeeded. Sixteen days later he came down with dysentery and was later cured, he immediately was attacked by a series of boils.
He was hospitalized and was treated back to full health. After he recovered his career in the army escalated to him serving under General Lee for the battle of Monmouth Hill. Upon reaching their destination him and his contingent were given orders to retreat, which on there feelings, they hastily complied. General Washington showed up on the battle field in time to rally the retreating contingents and ordered them to hold a line to keep the enemy troops in check while the artillery made it past a swampy area of terrain. By the time the artillery set its stronghold the British forces met in a firefight the forces of New England. The British managed to set up a cannon and started to fire on the artillery. After a violent assault of cannon fire the British troops retracted and hid from site as another contingent of British soldiers flanked and took hold of an orchard on the left. Col. Cilly recruited josephs’ contingent to drive enemy soldiers out of the orchard. They advanced from the right of the orchard in concealment and when they shown their forces they expected a fight, but the British soldiers retreated instead to join the main body of their forces. Col. Cilly sent a brigade after the retreating troops in order to keep them “in play” and to take them down before enlarging the assault on the artillery and the rest of the American troops. Josephs’ contingent followed and had a fire fight with the retreating troops, which ended in victory for the American army for that battle

Source of information:

“A Narrative Of A Revolutionary Soldier: Some Of The Adventures, Dangers, And Sufferings Of Joseph Plumb Martin.”
Author: Joseph Plumb Martin

Publisher: New American Library