PDA

View Full Version : High School Debate

TheFreekinCog16
March 5th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Ok, so for my American Government class we have to do debates on the pros and cons of social issues. Im stuck with capital punishment(death sentence). The teams are 2 people for the pros and 2 for the cons. Im pro-death penalty. Ive come up with some good arguments so far but I need more. Can anyone help? Also, if you can think of somethings that a con person might say, that would be great, because I have to argue their views and I have to rebuttal/ protect mine. Anything would be great! Thanks in advance.

freetibet
March 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM
just do a search on capital punishment and you'll see all sorts of opinions on it

a2thae
March 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Ok, so for my American Government class we have to do debates on the pros and cons of social issues. Im stuck with capital punishment(death sentence). The teams are 2 people for the pros and 2 for the cons. Im pro-death penalty. Ive come up with some good arguments so far but I need more. Can anyone help? Also, if you can think of somethings that a con person might say, that would be great, because I have to argue their views and I have to rebuttal/ protect mine. Anything would be great! Thanks in advance.

The con person would say that it costs more than life in prison because of the constant appeals and whatnot. They would also say that if someone is innocent, they would die, and if they were found not guilty, then they just got fucked for no reason.

You could then say, they could end up committing suicide because of all the disease and emotional scars they contract in prison.

You could say "we are guarantee-ing that these diseased fucks are effectively eliminated. Now don't get me wrong, life in prison does the job...most of the time, but in the prison they could be enjoying themselves, elevating them to the top, raping other inmates to establish their dominance and eventually enjoy themselves because they have sex every day and probably don't take shit from anyone. What if that's all they wanted in the first place? I believe that it's ok to keep SOME people in prison..."

I dunno i'd probably start off with something like that and then point out more pros while discreditting life in prison in general.

Just break the wills of your opponent, break them psychologically OUTSIDE of class, and you are guaranteed to win.

It you want to go extreme... Imagine if they think you are insane, and you aren't beneath attempting to kill them for something as little as winning... but then if you are friends with them...eh...

crazyassmetalhead
March 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM
suggest we take a roman approach to capital punishment, or at least the chinese approach.

the roman approach made it entertainment to the masses, thus making money from the executions and also serving as a public deterant.....the chinese approach would be all about efficency, they shoot the dude in the face with an ak47 then medical staff people waiting in vans by the execution site harvest any useable organs for transplants.

but just argue that capital punishment lowers prison overcrowding, eliminates the possibility of repeat offenses, and if the u.s. judical system wasn't fucked up would be more effecient.

as for rebuttles, the death penalty vs. life in prison argument is a somewhat valid one due to how fucked up the system is....but it isn't true in every instance.

more likely you'll get someone who thinks it's immoral to kill or whatever, and arguing against such things shouldn't be too hard.

a2thae
March 5th, 2009, 04:49 PM
suggest we take a roman approach to capital punishment, or at least the chinese approach.

the roman approach made it entertainment to the masses, thus making money from the executions and also serving as a public deterant.....the chinese approach would be all about efficency, they shoot the dude in the face with an ak47 then medical staff people waiting in vans by the execution site harvest any useable organs for transplants.

That's a good idea.

But then it could sound like you're bordering on satire, plus it's a little bit impractical to do the roman approach because you'd need a colliseum, or just a big room with no exits and everyone watches via hidden camera. Plus you'd need the tigers... Then the other person could argue that a few of the people can fight their way for life.

Because if we killed them all, then eventually they'd petition, people would work together in groups and refuse to kill certain people.

Plus the whole cruel and unusual punishment type thing...

freetibet
March 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyph_DZa_GQ

TheFreekinCog16
March 6th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Thank you guys, this is why i love this website.

I hope that video is a joke, but its funny as fuck.

You guys want me to cite you as sources? A little accreditation?

TheFreekinCog16
March 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
And as far as innocent people being on death row, DNA testing is so advanced that they are almost 100% sure every time and if the evidence has any doubt, they will refuse the death penalty and investigate further. Also, Ive been trying to think of what a con person would argue for the death sentence being a deterrent, they are supposed to have a argument for all of our points.
Also, people who have been sentenced life in prison without parole have been released, I have quotes for that and stuff.
What about closure for the victims family? Could that be a strong point?
Also, I found out that sometimes when people are put to death through lethal injection, they suffer a long, painful death and I am almost positive the cons are going to use that, but I thought they use euthanasia?

remadon1
March 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
The more brutal form of death penalty are the least painful

ex. hanging, guillotine

But if someone killed a member of my family i would want them so suffer as much as
possible.

TheFreekinCog16
March 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Well, I won my debate and got a perfect score! Thanks guys, Ill let you know if we have another one.