PDA

View Full Version : so i guess we're going to hell

Xavier_Blackstone
November 20th, 2008, 05:55 PM
The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term exam. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well...

Here is the "Bonus Question" on the exam: "Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?"
Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and
pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa (a girlfriend of mine during my Freshman year) that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you", and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct...leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A+."

xAnonymousx
November 20th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Hell does not exist. It was a tool to manipulate people into acting the way they wanted using fear and people followed along like retarded monkies. And the fact that this was an actual question in a school is just sad because if this is the future we're all fucked with these idiots being the new generation.

superflysuperwhite
November 20th, 2008, 06:20 PM
up top shut the fuck up, there is no proof that it exist or not. plus you are missing the whole point of the question you ass.

and the last part of that essay was AWSOME!

way better then my groups response to why our dynasty was the best "mandate of heaven... bitches"

see kids college is great because you can say almost anything you want in class and in the work.. i mean in one of my english essays i talked about how me and my freinds got stoned and found a softball.. and i got an A!

deathlord888
November 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM
ya i saw i different ending before
the girl said i will sleep with you when hell freezes over so we can assume it is endothermic blah blah blah
but that is funny

statik82192
January 20th, 2009, 02:56 AM
hahahahahahaha That answer was fucking great!! That student should of got an A++

Cerron Pyra
January 20th, 2009, 02:34 PM
thats cool shit

cstrikehero
January 20th, 2009, 08:05 PM
HAHA thats funny.. but its just BS.. i wrote the national anthem in really fancy cursive once and got an A+.. i was supposed to write about how chemicals bond or something like that.. for Cemistry.. i know know that the teacher never reads work!! XD

Phoenix Fire
January 20th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Necrophilifuckers die.

deathlord888
January 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
HAHA thats funny.. but its just BS.. i wrote the national anthem in really fancy cursive once and got an A+.. i was supposed to write about how chemicals bond or something like that.. for Cemistry.. i know know that the teacher never reads work!! XD

or maybe you are full of shit? dont you always make up garbage?

crazyassmetalhead
January 20th, 2009, 10:43 PM
probably goes to one of those schools ran by that one cult he keeps pushing.... :P

a2thae
January 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Yeah, cstrike is extremely full of shit.

Cake
January 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM
That man diserves a Prize.....for boning that chick.....and the idea was good too....

Kasnia
January 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I've seen this before. I think it's pretty awesome. Gotta give that dude props.

Hell does not exist. It was a tool to manipulate people into acting the way they wanted using fear and people followed along like retarded monkies. And the fact that this was an actual question in a school is just sad because if this is the future we're all fucked with these idiots being the new generation.

Please stop. It was a bonus question on a test. It seemed more like a "joke" or something of the sort, something for people to have fun with, experimental, etc. Don't make everything a religious debate thread, we have one of those already.

Durandal4
January 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM

*sigh* it's "Chemistry" with and "h".
and you said "i know know that the..."
how the hell did you get an A on ANYTHING?
just sayin'...

Back on topic, that guy should have been the only one to get an A. He actually explained his logic and totally backed himself up with "proof"; no matter how crazy awesome it is.

Unfortunately the same cannot be done in High School. Last week we had to write a speech in which a leader addresses the nation the day after a horrific disaster. Apparently the leader of Japan doesn't count, even if he was Tokyo right after the fight between Godzilla and Mothra. The only thing I got for that was a "very creative" and a C+.

ramalamafafafa
January 22nd, 2009, 05:49 AM
Fuck, i had not noticed this before!

I don't think i have ever seen the subject taken from a scientific angle so well! And with humour!

Cuddles
January 22nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
Please stop. It was a bonus question on a test. It seemed more like a "joke" or something of the sort, something for people to have fun with, experimental, etc. Don't make everything a religious debate thread, we have one of those already.

but...he's right! that guy proved that hell nolonger exists! =P

Cake
January 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
http://www.pinetree.net/humor/thermodynamics.html

Found that...same thing....makes better sense to me.....

Kasnia
January 23rd, 2009, 12:37 PM
but...he's right! that guy proved that hell nolonger exists! =P

Yeah, but the guy who is "right" was being a total dickhead about it, and he was wrong for the reasons that he thought he was right. He had no proof at all, just going on his beliefs. Gosh. lol

Cuddles
January 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah, but the guy who is "right" was being a total dickhead about it, and he was wrong for the reasons that he thought he was right. He had no proof at all, just going on his beliefs. Gosh. lol

so? =)

charlee
January 23rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
very funny. worth an a+. on my way to 600

Kasnia
January 23rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
so? =)

Gah.. The ultimate comeback-killer: "So?" =P

Cuddles
January 23rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Gah.. The ultimate comeback-killer: "So?" =P

bah, you know you love me =)

Kasnia
January 23rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
bah, you know you love me =)

Yeah, I know. :]

hatecrew
January 23rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
That kid is a genius.

Moobz
January 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM

haha That's great. I'll have to try that sometime.

Knyfeboy
February 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term exam. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well...

Here is the "Bonus Question" on the exam: "Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?"
Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and
pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa (a girlfriend of mine during my Freshman year) that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you", and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct...leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A+."

that kid is the fckin man