PDA

View Full Version : My Essays and such.

superflysuperwhite
October 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Im a writer.. not really i just happen to be quite good with it. here are some of my essays and some other stuff. grades are in red

also all of these are for college classes

Cory Fountain
Essay 2
The Clean up

The natural environment is very important today and always has been. It helps sustain life in many different ways and as creatures that are supported by it, humans have an obligation to protect it. When I was in Boy Scouts many years back, my troop, and me did a community service project where we cleaned up behind a Knights of Columbus hall; the one we used for our meetings. Behind the hall were a few parking spaces, but those were not what we were there to clean up. At the edge of the parking lot, people had turned a very steep hill into a dumping site. Our job that day was to clean as much of that hill off as possible.
My mother dropped me off at the K of C early in the morning. When I got there, my troop leaders Mr. Smith and Mr. Dunne were already to go. Most of my troop was already there too, some of the kids were helping set up, and some others (my friends) were goofing off. I was happy to be there, not because of what I was doing but because I was with my friends and we could figure out a way to make things fun. We sorted out the rest of the equipment, put on our work gloves, and began cleaning. We planned on starting from the top and working our way down as far as we could. It was slow and boring at this point and we spent most of the time talking or swinging on trees.
As we made our way down the hill foot by foot, the garbage that was there began getting bigger and bigger. It went from being things like bottles, napkins, old magazines, and scraps of rotting wood to things like tires and even refrigerators. As the trash got bigger so did our work effort. We had fun trying to drag up huge branches of fallen trees and grocery carriages from Walgreens and Stop and Shop. What we could see in this though was people’s lack of respect for the environment, no one cared what was being thrown down that hill. It was an unofficial city dump; the only difference was that there were still trees and animals on this hill. I really did not think of how bad it actually was when I was cleaning it, but now thinking back it was quite disgusting.
After making it about a quarter of the way down the hill, we stopped for a break. Mr. Dunne went off to get snacks while everyone else just hung around. We spent some of that down time screwing around with the shopping carts we had found. We also yelled down at the bums who apparently live towards the foot of the hill; we would see one walk around every now and then. I am sure they contributed to all the trash that had been thrown down there, mostly the bottles and probably the carriages. Finally Mr. Dunne returned, he had gone to Krispy Kreme Donuts and got about three dozen donuts. This was the first time I had ever had Krispy Kreme and I loved it. After the donuts were all gone we went back to cleaning again.
We were now pulling out some of the oddest things, scraps of twisted metal that might have been used for shelves, parts of washing machines, and a bunch of other miscellaneous items. There were also very large pieces of wood that looked almost like downed telephone poles midway down the hill. We tied ropes around them and all of us pulled as hard as we could to get the logs off that hill. We were able to do it, though I think we had to get a truck involved, but it was still a lot of work. Our troop leaders thought that it would be safer if we stopped in the middle of the hill. This was actually true; it was hard enough to climb up a quarter of the hill. In addition, the homeless people were down there and the leaders were afraid what they would possibly do. We stopped there, we had cleaned a very good portion of the hill, and it actually looked nice. After we were all gathered on the parking lot it was time for a picture. We gathered around one of the trucks and made our poses.
If I were to go back to that hill today, I know it would be as if we never cleaned it up. People just do not seem to care about that spot of land. Maybe it is because you cannot see it from the street or maybe because it is just a hill with no other purpose. All I know is that it is no longer clean. Do I feel like what I did was pointless? No, not really, because for however long it was clean it was clean because of my work. The thing that gets me though now that I think about it is why people can not just dispose of their garbage properly and leave nature be?

A

Cory Fountain
Assignment #1
10/3/08
Memo
Intro:
My trip to the Enterprise Center turned out to be very beneficial for me, and I do believe it was a wise investment to send me there. I was able to see other beginning businesses and ones that were some what older. They were able to give me some insight on what it’s like starting a small business and how to keep it running. It was very interesting to see and hear this and I believe I got quite a bit out of it that I could bring to my organization.
Small Businesses:
After arriving and waiting for the tour to begin in the conference room we visited a management center for Taco Bell and Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises. I learned that all the seventeen franchises that were run through there were all sole proprietorships but, there can be franchises set up as corporations. It was interesting to learn that just one place was responsible for managing almost twenty separate restaurants. Also that it was where all the bills were paid and the taxes were done. One thing I found really interesting is that every transaction made on the registers went to the office. Even more surprising was that before going to the office it went to the headquarters in California. Before this I had no idea that these franchises were managed by an outside office, I thought it all happened ion the restaurant itself.
Next I saw a graphic design company and learned about the advantages and disadvantages of being your own boss and running your own company. I found out that you don’t necessarily need to advertise your self to get high end customers or any kind for that matter. All you really need to do is do a good job and you will get your promotions by word of mouth. I also learned that even though a company may put you in charge of something, in this case logo and sign designs, you still have to respect the reputation of the company and make the work appropriate. These are just a few examples of the other companies that were working in the Enterprise center.
Financial Planning:
One bit of information I found to be extremely valuable is that, with a good plan, persistence, and a good understanding of what you are doing it is possible to get money from all over. The Center has a contest for business plans where, from my understanding, the winner receives a spot at the center and $10,000. This is a very good thing for anyone planning on starting their own small business to know. Also the Center has a financial planning program that is fee. This is a great thing that anyone could take advantage of.
In Conclusion:
The entire trip to the Enterprise center was very informative. I believe I can take what I learned and use it to improve my own organization. Also it is good to know that there are people their and programs that can be used to help make the process of starting a running a small business much easier.

85 late

superflysuperwhite
October 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Cory Fountain
History
9/24/08
Civilization could easily be described as the peak of human society. The basic definition of a civilization is a society with a large number of people that share similar elements. Civilizations are much different from other societies, not just because of size but, because of their politics, sciences, ethics, skills, etc. Civilizations slowly came to through thousands of years of technological and social advancements, along with an ever growing understanding of the world.
A society starts to become civilized when it’s people no longer make their lives revolve around catching food. The first hint of civilization was the beginning of agriculture. Once people discovered they could grow food in the same places over and over again it made it very simple to find a place and settle. People also realized that hunting down and killing every animal they wanted to eat may not be the most productive thing to do. Instead capturing and domesticating certain animals became the common practice in obtaining meats and hides. Though hunting was still being done because not all animals are easy or even possible to domesticate. This however does not constitute a civilization.
With the need for a reliable food source out of the way people in the society can now focus on other aspects of life. No longer does everyone have to hunt for their food, now a single or a few group(s) of people can take care of food. This allows for others to explore other aspects of living, such as architecture; now that transportable shelters are no longer needed, stable permanent buildings must be built, so now you have architects. Tools must now be made for farming and building, and weapons for the military, people now become craftsmen. Not all people need to do physical labor now because others have taken up that responsibility for the whole community. This allows for people to become philosophers, politicians, scientist, and religious figures. It also allows for people to just sit back and think of ways to advance society in an unlimited amount of ways.
Civilizations also have complex political structures. such as democracy or a monarchy. There are advanced laws the govern how people are to behave or what can or cannot be done, or even what a people must do for work. Along with politics come militaries; in order for a civilization to survive they must be able to protect themselves from other countries, states, etc. The military can also be used to keep civil order within its own civilization. In many early civilization politics and religion were basically one in the same. Laws were based on the teachings of the particular religious beliefs. Now with set laws and people to enforce them order begins to arise out of a previously lawless chaotic society where almost anything went.
Agriculture, specialties, politics, and law all make for a “civilized” society by today’s most basic standards but these do not make for a civilization, simply a village or even a town. A civilization is much, much greater then just one seemingly large group of people. It is a whole network of cities, towns, and villages all under one power. Civilizations are trade networks across hundreds of miles of land, sea, and now air. No longer is food being sold where it is produced, nor farming being done in the same town as weapon making. The territory of a civilization is not confined to a few square miles but hundreds if not thousands. Every city and town work and thrive not for themselves but for all the other cities and towns within the civilization. They basically work as one, like the many organs inside a persons body, all different in appearance and purpose but all working to maintain the body as a whole.
Now with all these aspects, agriculture, specialties, political structure, military, massive territory, and a network of cities, a society can be called a civilization. Though, even with all of this a society may not be a civilization, another thing that separates a civilization from any other form of society is stability. A Civilization must be able to keep all or at the very least most of its territory in order. It must keep its food sources abundant along with its other resources. Also it must keep its self safe from invaders and people within who wish to take over or destroy it. A society can have all the elements of a civilization but they must master them before they can really be considered a civilization.
It is almost impossible to say when the first civilization began, but its is quite simple to tell where, how, and why. The first civilizations appeared in Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. They began when people began to settle and start farming, setting up permanent residence in one area. This was apparently much easier then their previous lifestyle of hunting and gathering. As these societies advanced they grew, and as they grew they began to expand their territory. This is the point in which civilization was on the verge of becoming a type of society.
Just as civilizations begin they too can end. Through out the world we see evidence of civilizations that once flourished that eventually fell. Civilizations can end for different reasons and ways. Many civilizations ended because of invasions from outside forces. Others simply dried up their resources and were no longer able to function. there are still some civilizations that give no explanation for their fall.
There are of course with pretty much anything come civilizations that are better then others. There can be many reasons a civilization is superior to another, technology being one of them. With advanced technology a civilization can flourish and advance easier. For example a civilization that has gone from using simple man power to farm, to having say an ox pull a yoke can produce crops faster because the work can be done faster. Rome was extremely advanced because of their aqueducts, instead of digging wells that dry up, they were able to take water right from the mountains or lakes. Also a civilization that has gone from using bronze to iron for weapons has a serious advantage over other civilizations in the military field.
Also the way of life of the people within the civilization can make one superior over another. A civilization where even the common person has their own home made of stone is of course far better then one where people still live in huts or houses made of wood. One civilization can be economically superior to another civilization due to the abundance of resources within the territory.
Civilizations are the peak of society, the are examples of what happens when people master certain aspects of life. They must have certain elements to hold them together, and they must be able to stay stable. Now that civilizations have appeared the possibility of the majority of the planets population reverting to a primitive way of life is very slim. Civilizations will exist as long as there are people to keep them going.
B+

superflysuperwhite
October 27th, 2008, 07:20 PM
My personal favorite

My personal favorite

Cory Fountain
9/12/08

Randy The Bright
Yellow Soft Ball
I don’t have many things that cause me to remember any special event or exciting time in my life, and if I do I can remember any of those times. There is one thing though that I in fact do not own, and really have no idea where it is. It is a bright florescent yellow soft ball, actually any soft ball reminds me of it and the two days that surrounded it. Whenever I see a soft ball this particular one comes to mind and what happened because of it.
Its was about three years ago in December of 2006 a year when my friends and I were at the pinnacle of our stupidity. The two days that fell a week apart are the clearest memories of that year that I have. We had been experimenting with marijuana- who am I kidding we were past experimenting- and on this particular day (not sure which one exactly) my cousin, our best friend, and I were going into the golf course near my house to smoke on a small foot bridge over a little stream. We got there and did what we planned on doing, and then that’s where it all started. My cousin Joey who is in no way the brightest person in the world and will not hesitate to let anyone in on that fact spotted a bright yellow softball stuck in the ice in the middle of the stream. He immediately named it Randy and wanted it, but of course he didn’t want to risk falling through the ice himself so he told me and my friend Keith to go get it. We of course refused, so Joey picked up a stick and threatened us with it- he tended to think he was a slave owner and we were his slave, literally- so, even though at any moment we could have taken the stick from him we decided to go get the ball. We hopped onto the ice and slowly made our way towards the ball all the while taunting Joey for being to scared to get on the ice himself. We retrieved the ball and as we approached the bridge Joey jumped onto the ice to show us he wasn’t afraid. Keith put the ball on the bridge while we were all still on the ice, Keith and I were the first to get on the bridge. Just as Joey got on and reached for the ball Keith snatched it right from under his hand and tossed it back onto the ice, Joey of course wasn’t too happy about it so he made us all get back on the ice.
The ball was too far away now for us to get so we decided to play a game of chicken. We all moved towards the edge of the ice, where it was thin and water was still unfrozen. Joey being the tough guy he was went all the way to the edge and started stomping the ice, he put his foot right through it and was soaked up past his knee. We left the bridge so he could change at his house, he was till carrying the stick due to the false sense of power it apparently bestowed upon him. He came out of his house in new clothes still carrying the stick; he walked with that stick through town until we finally grabbed it from him and snapped it in half.
A week later we returned to the bridge with our friend Lambi. Joey was already mad at Keith for hinting to his sister what we were doing, and my head was hurting from getting it smashed into a chair while wrestling with Keith. We got to the bridge and did what we went there to do. We were able to get Joey to smoke a cigar by telling him it was weed, he inhaled it like he was drowning and someone handed him an oxygen mask. While sitting on the bridge we spotted Randy the bright yellow soft ball again, this of course reminded us of the prior week so all four of us hopped onto the ice. We stood there joking and making fun of each other, and every now and then someone would pee on the ice just because.
Keith then started to tell Lambi about the week before and how Joey made a fool out of himself by falling through the ice. He went to the edge to show that anyone else could have done it without falling through but as we all know, karma’s a bitch. The next few minutes were like a scene out of a comedy movie. He stomped on the ice and his foot went through, he feel to his knees into the water followed by the rest of his body. I could clearly see the surprise and horror on his face as this happened, his eyes widened and his mouth puckered as if he just bit into a lemon. We all broke into hysterical laughter, this for some reason caused Lambi to throw up a pink blob. I jumped off the ice in one leap onto the bridge to avoid seeing this, but the image was already in my head. I was laughing so hard at both these things and seeing the vomit I too threw up, though at this point in time it wasn’t so uncommon for that to happen.
Now with two people feeling sick and one soaked from head to toe we headed back to Joey’s house. Keith asked if Joey would give him some dry clothes, Joey laughed and told him no. Lambi needed to get home so Joey’s sister gave him a ride, Keith went with them. I’m pretty sure I stayed at Joeys’ house, my memory of that day ends with those two going home. Though I’m sure- by thinking about how every other day went- I know what happened next; Joey and I went to get food, most likely at McDonalds.
Those two days will always stick with my, they are two days out of any other that year that I can pretty much completely remember. I do not know what ever happened to Randy the bright yellow soft ball but I like to think it’s still in that stream some where probably caught up in some vegetation. I’m always reminded of it and those two days whenever I see any softball, and when I am reminded of those days I can’t help but let out a small laugh.
A

superflysuperwhite
October 27th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Cory Fountain
10/15/08
History
Endurance
Thought history societies rise and fall almost like clock work. Some societies are able to out last others, while many just fade away. There are many reasons why certain societies are able to advance and endure through out the years. They either learn to advance technologically, religiously, scientifically, etc. Some societies simply do not change, they remain basically the same thought history. Ideas within the society that help shape the culture and run the system also can either stay or fade. The two biggest examples of this are science and religion. Some societies thrive with change, and some have made their mark by staying the same.
There are many different reasons for societies to fall, one of the biggest reasons is conquest by other societies and civilizations. One way a society is able to last I their ability to survive a constant barrage of invading forces. One of the best examples of this is Rome. The roman civilization was able to last for thousands of years while being constantly attacked by other societies and civilizations. They were able to defend themselves and also conquer many other civilizations and societies. They were able to do this by having a very strong army, influenced heavily by the Greeks. Like the Greeks the Roman military was made up of free male citizens, who fought for basically themselves and their land. They also had very advanced military tactics, including the powerful legion which consisted of four thousand to five hound heavy and light armored troops and cavalry.
Not all societies were able to avoid conquest though, a good and recent example of this would be the Aztec civilization. Though this society was the strongest in its known world, it was primitive compared to the outside world at the time. The Spanish conquest of the Aztecs proved that technology can be a very important thing when it comes to conquest. When the Spanish Conquistadors came to Mesoamerica they were equip with armor and weapons made of iron. They also carried firearms, something the Aztecs were no where close to ready for. The Conquistadors also brought many diseases that the Aztecs and native people had no immunity to, and were killed by. Also the Conquistadors were able to take advantage of the constant warring between the Aztecs and the other native people in the area and were able to ally themselves with enemies of the Aztecs.
Though both civilizations were eventually conquered their legacy last even now. Rome is the capital of Italy and one of the most well know cities in the world. The Aztecs are still renown for their architecture and their astronomy. They were able to leave their mark in history because of what the accomplished during their reign.
Another thing that allows societies to thrive, is the ideas that arise within the society, such as religions and philosophies. These things plaid major roles in many civilizations. Some religions and philosophies lasted through out the ages while others simply faded into the shadows of newer ideas.
For the Greeks the gods played a major roll in their lives. Kings would consult oracles who could speak to the gods, before they went to war, or to make other decisions that could effect their society. The Egyptian Pharaoh was able to keep his power for so long because the people saw him as god incarnated. The Aztecs gained many enemies and were feared and eventually destroyed for their human sacrifices to the gods. Everyday life was effected by the gods and the religion of each society. Though many of these religions would crumble as science became more understood and advanced. Science would and does play a major roll in societies. It would end many religions, especially polytheistic ones. As people understanding of science grew and advanced their religions became obsolete and were abandoned. Science was not however always the cause of a religions abandonment. With conquest came new religions, many civilizations would force their religion on the conquered people thus changing their beliefs.
Societies constantly change, whether it’s because they are forced to from threats of conquest or civil turmoil certain practices are abandoned. A lot of change is welcomed though, things change to make life easier, technology changes to works similar, and can allow for all new things to be done. Societies that change are taking a gamble however because, not all change is good. The way a society is run could be changed so that the people have more of a say in what goes on and therefore know what’s best for them. Or a new ruler could emplace all new laws that make living harder, or they could change the way the economy runs creating a poor society. If the change is for the worst this could cause the society to collapse either because outside forces see that it is now weak, or the civilians see this and take action to change it by rebelling.
Some societies remain unchanged though for hundreds or thousands of years. The Egyptian civilization staid basically the same right to its end. This could mostly be attributed to the religion, but the way it ran seemed to work very well. Egypt was able to keep its people satisfied for the most part and remained a very powerful society even after it was conquered by other civilizations like the Greeks.
Societies rise, fall, change, or stay the same, some leave a mark in history while others leave barley a spec. The way societies run themselves and their willingness to do what works makes all the difference if the thrive or die out. A society can change a thousand times and with each change become stronger and stronger, or they could end with just one little turn in the wrong direction. Others can keep their power without making any changes because what they do works, and there is no point in fixing what is not broken.

B- late

superflysuperwhite
November 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Cory Fountain
10/17/08
English
The Market Crash
For the past few months all eyes have been on the United States failing market. The country has gone into a recession, thousands of people are losing their homes, and many more are losing their jobs. The Dollar is worth so much less in the global market- though its value has been decreasing since the turn of the millennium- when less then a decade ago it was one of the strongest currencies. It has become the main topic of the presidential debates and is the focus in Washington. Everyone is blaming somebody, the Republicans are blaming the Democrats and visa versa, while many citizens are simply just blaming Bush.
What most people seem to not realize is that the blame cannot be put simply on one person or one group of people. Markets go through cycles, the first phase being “accumulation” . This starts after the market has bottomed, people start buying again and money starts going back into the system. Next comes the “mark-up” Phase, this is when the market has stabilized, a lot more people are buying, but there is still a large unemployment rate and layoff are still prevalent. The third phase is the “distribution” phase, this is the peak of the market cycle. In this phase sellers dominate and prices are usually locked. It is however a very “scary” time because like a mountain, once you get to the top you can only go down. The fourth and final phase of the cycle is the “mark-down” phase- the markets current state- this is when things begin to lose value, investors try to sell their investments that no longer carry the same value as they once did. In the past decade there have been an estimated one hundred market scares, what is going on now is nothing new, but it is in no way anything to be taken lightly.
Another reason for this crash is because free markets can not fix themselves, it is impossible. Especially ones that are left unchecked or deregulated like the United States’. After President Bush deregulated the housing market banks were able to give out loans and mortgages to people who simply could not afford them. People were signing papers and buying houses with money that they did not have. This is why so many people are losing their houses, because they never really owned them. When the banks went to collect on the loans the people didn’t have the money to pay. This would not have been a problem if it were only a few people who could not pay but it was thousands of people who did not have the money. This meant that the bank had given all this money to people, and now had nothing to show for it. This is because the housing market was left unchecked and unregulated, and the owners of the banks became greedy and took advantage of this without thinking of the consequences.
Now in attempts to fix this crisis the Bush Administration has taken over control of the nations highest and biggest-rated financial institutes, the mortgage giants Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac. Also the Government has begun buying stocks in hopes this will put more money into the market and increase value. After that happened the “Standards and Poor’s 500-stock saw a 2% increase” (coy), still the next day there was fear that it would drop again. According to Peter Coy and Tara Kalwarski economic editors for the BusinessWeek this could go one of two ways. “The positive way being, the take over drives money back into the housing sector, buyers sense a bottom- as talked about previously- and demand explodes. The rising prices and the ability to refinance will save many people from foreclosure. Next Surging confidence boosts consumer spending, causing stronger demand making companies feel less of a need to lay off workers. Federal Reserve rate cuts begin to take hold and investors go back into the stock market. Finally global investors regain their faith in the United States economy and the dollar holds its value again and, foreign investors help finance spending by American households and businesses” (Coy)
“On the negative side however if this plan fails the take over will do nothing to cure the fundamental problems: “Lenders are hobbled by losses, households have too much debt, and there’s a record overhang of unsold homes” (Coy). Thus the credit crunch and failing housing prices will lead to weaker consumer spending. Employers will feel the need to cut more jobs and business investments causing households to reduce spending leading to more job cuts. This will then cause global investors to abandon their U.S. investments in fear that the U.S. government will try to escape its debts inflating its currency. This will cause the Federal Reserve to jack up rates to defend the dollar, worsening the recession”(Coy)
Taking over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is an extremely risky move and could wind up causing a lot more damage than it is attempting to fix. My personal opinion- though I lack the economic expertise of the so called experts- is that the owners of these “mortgage giants” should be the ones to pay of their $1.7 trillion dollar debt. They are so close to closing not because the owners can’t pay the bills but because they refuse to pay from their own pockets, and the government is letting them get away with it.

one of this however would have happened if the Government would just have regulated the market. Once again free markets cannot fix themselves, that is why the government should always be keeping an eye on what is going on. “Government create markets and markets can exist only with regulation” ( Zakaria). The only way for a market to be rescued is if the government gets involved. It was almost and probably is too late for the government to get involved now. Even with its involvement the crises has spiraled so out of control it may be impossible to fix.
Another suggestion to fix this crisis follows along the lines of government control but not in the sense of government take over of banks. According to Steve Forbes, editor-in-chief of Forbes Magazine its all about the money. Forbes states that money should be a fixed measure of value, just like time and length. Trying to fine tune and guide the economy is a harmful thing for a central bank to do. The government should set the standards and value of money, and not privately owned administrations.
It is unclear as to how this crises will end, personally I think and actually hoping for a bit of a depression. I believe the only way things will ever get back to “normal” is if everything starts all over. Though that’s an extreme way to look at things, and from most people perspectives will hopefully not happen. There are many suggestion on how to fix this crisis and hopefully the right one has been pick, we can only sit back, cross our fingers, and pray to whatever it is we pray to that things will work out. Until then I suggest investing in a good security system and stuffing your money in a mattress until it all blows over. the

B

superflysuperwhite
November 13th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Cory Fountain
Reflection #3
11/4/08
Collapse
We are born and then we die, a race starts and then it finishes, a story begins and then it ends, like all of these civilizations too have a beginning and an ending. All great civilizations have seen there high points only to then spiral down to the brink of destruction, some just barley surviving while others are whipped out completely. There are many different reasons for civilizations to fall, and there are many different things that happen once they do. Some civilizations used this to their advantage: the Zhou came up with the Mandate of Heaven which stated that kingdoms will always come to an end. There has never been such a truer statement.
The collapse of a civilization does not necessarily mean that it is completely whipped out, but that it has lost the power, resources, influence, and territory it once had. A great example of this would be Greece; after the death of Alexander the Great the empire began to fall apart. There was war between the territories still held by the Greeks, and those with little Greek presence went back to they way they were. This collapse of the empire however did not mean the end for Greece itself, it just simply was not the power it once was. Greece stayed “below the radar” in a sense through out the rest of ancient history allowing it to still survive as a country. This scenario does not work for all for all civilizations though, like the Almecs. Once their civilization collapsed the disappeared as a society completely only leavening around ruins.
Civilizations collapse for many different reasons, one of the main ones being conquest. Invading forces take over a civilization, enslave people, enforce new laws and beliefs and strip away what they could of the culture. This type of action can be seen in the Islamic conquests. When they took over a place they would either force pagans to convert to Islam or they would kill them, if they people were Christian or Jewish they were taxed heavily as a way to encourage conversion. Christians under the Carolingian Empire also practiced this kind of conquest, especially in Northern Europe.
Conquest does not just cause the conquered to collapse, it also leads to the collapse of the conquerors. With conquest comes more territory, and during the time of empires and ancient civilizations territory was one of the most sought after things. The thing, as seen with many civilizations people within the empire feud over the territory. This was a main factor in a the fall of Greece and the Carolingian empires. If a king had two or more heirs he would divide up the territories. This of course never worked because human nature makes people greedy, we always crave for more. The siblings fight over the land causing chaos , draining their resources and killing their people; without any of these things a civilization can not survive and will collapse.
When a civilization collapses people have a few different options. One being they can stay where they are and hope for the best. They can continue with their lives because in reality not everyone is directly affected by the collapse. People where pretty self sufficient back then, the only thing they actually needed was land, and if the empire was in shambles whose to say where you can and cannot live, you just need to deal with whatever comes your way. Other people packed everything up and set off to another land that may have been safer or offered more opportunities. Some people embraced the new conquerors who invaded and melded into the new society. Lots of people also perished with their society, either because they could not function outside of it or were brought down with it.
The fallen civilization and its people are not the only things affected by its collapse. Surrounding Civilization are also affected both positively and negatively, depending on who they were relative to the collapsed society. Some civilizations suffer immensely because the other society may have been a major trading partner with resources that were necessary for surviving. They could also be in trouble because the collapsed civilization protected them from invaders, intentionally or not. Negative affects do not fall upon all civilizations though, especially if they were the ones who caused the collapse. A collapse of a civilization offers many opportunities for other people. Land is now more available, so aren’t resources and trading routes.
Just like races has its finishes, civilizations have their ends. Whether it is because of incompetence of leaders or the overwhelming strength of an invader a civilization will always come to some sort of an end. The collapse of a civilization does not always mean the end of it because with anything that falls apart there is the possibility that what has been broken can be mended.

B+

ash_attack
November 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Are you in college or high school? If so, what grade?

(Because you could be in high school and taking a college class... that's why I asked.)

superflysuperwhite
November 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM
in college

ash_attack
November 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hm. Just wondering.

specter1994
March 4th, 2011, 05:22 PM
"my troop and me" and she gave you an A and your in college? I find that hard to beleive i'm only a high school junior and every teacher I ever had would immediatelly drop you to a B for that shit